Thoughts of Hyperspin (All in One drive solutions)

Go down

Thoughts of Hyperspin (All in One drive solutions)

Post by Wakdikyat on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm just venting.. feel free to add to the discussion:

I love what Chris is doing with this drive, but I don't want to have the fanboy mentality so I wanted to discuss of the issues some of us are experience and hopefully, find out own solutions to them.

I've bought a couple of different "complete hyperspin" drive in the past 10 years or so and NONE of them have been a turnkey solution. Here's the problem:

1. Not everyone's system is the same and while some emulators work great one some system, it'll crash on others.
2. Everyone have different controllers setup... this itself is a huge deal; making an all-in-one solution impossible.
3. Updating is a pain in all the drives.
4. Hyperspin feels like a patch work of different programs that doesntt work very well together.. When it crashes, it leaves artifacts behind without an easy way to kill them besides using task manager.

I've come to the conclusion that the best drive will be the one you great yourself and learn how to setup and troubleshoot emulators and controls.

I personally like how easy LaunchBox is to setup and how the controls and exit buttons are built in. I know Chris has Launchbox set up, but it's running RL instead of running the emulators directly, which adds another layer where things can go wrong.

What would help us create our own setup:

1. Detail tutorials on how Chris is setting up the emulators (controls, bezels, filters, etc) would be helpful.
2. Where to change controls for each emulators or systems
3. How to start or play some of the systems (amiga, msx, etc.. some of the older, weirder computer base systems)

If anyone is interested, we can start creating some videos tutorials.

Wakdikyat

Bonus Coins : 120
Hi Scores : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts of Hyperspin (All in One drive solutions)

Post by James M on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:13 am

HyperSpin is just a front end, it is very powerful in that it is just a launcher for all other systems once you configure them, and then it shows pretty media.

RocketLauncher is the thing that does the heavy lifting; that's how the emulators are configured, games are launched, and how the nuts and bolts of things are set up.

It's very, very complicated and the only way to learn it is to start doing it... there's no tutorials or fixes we can do, because every emulator is different and there's a lot to learn.

I think tutorials on how to enable/disable bezels, etc is something we can show; but learning emulators? It'd take more time to make tutorials than it would to just learn each system. What might be better is to post links on where to learn.

Regarding controls... there's 3 setups... computers (keyboard and mouse), joystick based (xbox360 type etc), or encoders (ipacs, howlers, zero delay encoders, etc... all are basically the same. You hook up a button to a USB or serial adapter and that keypress is translated into a keyboard key).

Chris unified the controls, nobody has ever done that before. He boils it down to a single keypress and you choose xbox or ipac (joystick or encoder) and it installs scripts. From there, you'd have to customize it... for example you use 8bitdo instead of xbox360 joystick; or you use tankstick instead of ipac.

For the most part, you shouldn't need to change anything; and if you do; settingssaver should save it for you before you update.

Maybe people can save their configurations and post them on this board for other users following. For example, people with 8BitDo run settingssaver only for joystick controls and then post it here. Other people with PS4 instead of Xbox, or a Howler vs Ipac etc.

So, the funniest thing about this particular signature line is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything, it's too late to stop reading it

James M
Final Boss
Final Boss

Bonus Coins : 1502
Hi Scores : 37

https://jdm001.wixsite.com/jimmerscripts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sahadd Prawser on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:53 pm

We need to put this in perspective. This drive literally represents THOUSANDS of hours of work in its current condition today. The reason I originally bought the drive is that I did thorough research on how all of this setup works and came to the conclusion it was a very cheap price to pay vs spending 2-3 years constantly working on it myself.

The bad news:
There is no way to create a 100% turnkey rocketlauncher / hyperspin solution that works for everyone.

The good news:
This drive will come as close to that goal as is actually possible and it is almost there.

The only way you will truly be able to do any major modifications on your own drive is if you invest a lot of time in learning how rocketlauncher works and how hyperspin works, there is a lot of info on this out there. Beyond that you would only need a relatively simple explanation from Chris on how he has things structured so you can modify you own controls etc. There isn't really a quick and easy way to be able to do this stuff, trust me i've looked.

I do think there is value in going a little deeper on a few areas such as a "how to I create custom controls for _______ system in general on this drive?" Good things to work towards as we make more progress on automating the installation and updates and completing the media for the content.

Wakdikyat wrote:I'm just venting.. feel free to add to the discussion:

I love what Chris is doing with this drive, but I don't want to have the fanboy mentality so I wanted to discuss of the issues some of us are experience and hopefully, find out own solutions to them.

I've bought a couple of different "complete hyperspin" drive in the past 10 years or so and NONE of them have been a turnkey solution.  Here's the problem:

1. Not everyone's system is the same and while some emulators work great one some system, it'll crash on others.
2. Everyone have different controllers setup... this itself is a huge deal; making an all-in-one solution impossible.
3.  Updating is a pain in all the drives.
4. Hyperspin feels like a patch work of different programs that doesntt work very well together.. When it crashes, it leaves artifacts behind without an easy way to kill them besides using task manager.

I've come to the conclusion that the best drive will be the one you great yourself and learn how to setup and troubleshoot emulators and controls.

I personally like how easy LaunchBox is to setup and how the controls and exit buttons are built in.   I know Chris has Launchbox set up, but it's running RL instead of running the emulators directly, which adds another layer where things can go wrong.

What would help us create our own setup:

1. Detail tutorials on how Chris is setting up the emulators (controls, bezels, filters, etc) would be helpful.
2. Where to change controls for each emulators or systems
3. How to start or play some of the systems (amiga, msx, etc.. some of the older, weirder computer base systems)

If anyone is interested, we can start creating some videos tutorials.

RIG: Stormtrooper Stryker, Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, Skylake i5 6600k OC to 4.7ghz w/ Noctua D14 fan, R9 290x GPU, 16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws V, 1000w PSU, Samsung Evo 850 HD

Future arcade build (have most parts already) 4 player arcade with 2 aimtrack guns, 2 spinners, force feedback racing wheel and blissbox adapter with original controllers for the following systems: NES,SNES,Genesis(3 and 6 button controllers), N64, Dreamcast, Wii/WiiU, Xbox one. Might add PS2 controllers but I always hated those.
Sahadd Prawser
Final Boss
Final Boss

Bonus Coins : 419
Hi Scores : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down