UPDATE Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UPDATE Question

Post by Jonathan Lee on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:24 am

I have the 8tb + on a 8tb HD.  With the new update, I have maxed out the 8tb drive.  How do you get everything to on a 8TB drive? Thanks for all the help!!!

Jon

Jonathan Lee

Bonus Coins : 73
Hi Scores : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: UPDATE Question

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 am

This is due to manufacturers having different sizes even though the TB advertised is the same.  Has to do with dead sectors and other issues.  Here is a pretty good article that describes what is going on:

https://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

Could also be the recycling bin on the external. Make sure to set it to auto delete contents.

Admin
Final Boss
Final Boss

Bonus Coins : 302
Hi Scores : 21

http://hyperarcades.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Lee on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:34 am

Thanks. I checked and there are no hidden partitions on the drive. Ringedge put it over the top. Are there any files that could be zipped? Is there any way to create another drive that save it on C?

The other option would be to delete games and systems I don't play to make space.

Jonathan Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:18 am

I guess you could zip the ones that you would never play. Moving files is pretty in depth but definitely possible. You would just need to change the rom path in Rocketlauncher to the new location of the roms.

Admin
Final Boss
Final Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Lee on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:42 pm

I know I can't be the only guy having the same issue.  I tested converting a few MAME .zip to .7z.  It saved a good bit of space.  I tested a game that originally was 14,653 KB.  I unzipped it and rezipped it with .7z.  The .7z file was 9,535.  I'm not good with math however that's a pretty good reduction in space.  I took another file that was 3.10 GB .zip and converted it to a .7z file.  The .7z file size was 3.03. Some of the files in the MAME folder are already 7z files.  In theory, there is a lot of hidden GBs in reformating .zip to .7z, however the work is very time consuming since the original files would have to be unzipped and then rezipped to .7z.      

The question is if if you would convert the MAME folder to .7z files would it affect the playability of the games or any other settings?

Jonathan Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:21 am

The page I linked explained that drives have different sizes.  This is due to dead sectors in the hard disk.  Depending on manufacturer, you may see a difference of up to 100 gb in size.  What is probably happening here is that Chris' 8 TB drive has 7.9 TB and your drive has 7.8 TB just due to differences in drives.  This of course is an example and the difference could me much larger/smaller.

Here is a quick reference to show the amount that the actual values differ compared to the advertised for each common referenced value:

Megabyte Difference = 48,576 Bytes
Gigabyte Difference = 73,741,824 Bytes
Terabyte Difference = 99,511,627,776 Bytes

Based on this, for each Gigabyte that a drive manufacturer claims, they are over reporting the amount of disk space by 73,741,824 Bytes or roughly 70.3 MB of disk space. So, if a manufacturer advertises an 80 GB (80 billion bytes) hard drive, the actual disk space is around 74.5 GB of space, roughly 7% less than what they advertise.  This can and does contribute to the problem you are having.  Then on top of that, you have issues with dead sectors, unreadable bytes, hidden files and folder such as the recycling bin on the drive, etc. If you want to resolve this, you will need to move some stuff off the drive in order to make room for other stuff.  Zipping/7zipping stuff is just going to make syncing your drive harder in the future.  For the way we support the drive, your only option is to move some roms to another location and change the rom path in Rocketlauncher, then download the other files.

Admin
Final Boss
Final Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Lee on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Yeah at this point, that's what I will have to do. I'll remove systems and roms I don't play in order to make room for other things. Thanks for responding.
Jonathan Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:29 pm

You do not need to delete them unless you just want to. You can always move them to the C:/ drive and change the rom path.

Admin
Final Boss
Final Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top