How to make life a lot easier if you have a non standard drive setup (something not on the install/update menu)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to make life a lot easier if you have a non standard drive setup (something not on the install/update menu)

Post by Sahadd Prawser on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:09 am

Buy another hard drive that fits our standard model. I bought 2 8TB drives when I purchased Chris 16TB setup because that is how it has been natively designed to work. I have avoided most of the install and update issues because I did this on my own setup. If you try to use it in a way it was not designed for you WILL have many additional issues.

We are getting to the point where our capacity is being eaten up by people who do not understand this simple concept. I you cheap out and try to run 2-2TB and a 4TB to = 8TB that is not going to go well for you during different changes and updates as this drive continues. You will be fully expected to learn how to change your own setup to make it work in this case. We don't run setups like that so we may or may not have any idea what is causing your issue and frankly we just end up wasting our time trying to figure it out for you when you should be wasting your own time trying to figure it out instead.

We want to find real issues with the drive and correct them.

We want to make things automatic so issues go away entirely.

We want to help people that have unforseen issues because of some quirk with their hardware or software setup and then document it so others know how to fix that issue.

Spending a ton of time trying to fix problems created solely by people who aren't following the drive model is really eating into the above and we only have so much time to work on this stuff.

You think you are frustrated that certain things don't work on your drive or that you can't get the latest update to run? My setup works fine and the last time I played anything on it was almost 3 months ago because I have a very busy life and I'm spending the "extra" time helping people understand their setups.

Please Please Please just get the proper configuration for your hard drives, we will help you out with the rest (and require your patience because there are only a few of us).

This is my plea to try and get this forum working in a better way, we are have had a lot of problems on here right now that could have been avoided quite easily.

EDIT: I PERSONALLY DO NOT RECOMMEND RUNNING NEW UPDATES UNLESS YOU NEED THEM TO FIX SPECIFIC ISSUES YOUR DRIVE HAS, IF IT IS WORKING (FOR THE THINGS YOU LIKE USING IT FOR) THEN PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE, IT CAN CAUSE NEW ISSUES, THESE ARE ALPHA LEVEL TESTING UPDATES, NOT THE SAME AS UPDATES THAT HAVE BEEN TESTED FOR MONTHS BEFORE RELEASE. IT IS BETTER TO WAIT 6 MONTHS AND CHECK ON THE STATE OF THE DRIVE TO DETERMINE IF THE RISK OF POSSIBLE NEW ISSUES IS WORTH THE UPDATE TO YOU PERSONALLY. UPDATING IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK WHICH IS WHY IT IS FREE WITHOUT CHARGE, WE TRY TO HELP BUT NO ONE IS ENTITLED TO SUPPORT AS A RESULT OF AN ISSUE WITH AN UPDATE AND IT MAY TAKE QUITE A WHILE TO RESOLVE YOUR ISSUE.

Last edited by Sahadd Prawser on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

RIG: Stormtrooper Stryker, Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, Skylake i5 6600k OC to 4.7ghz w/ Noctua D14 fan, R9 290x GPU, 16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws V, 1000w PSU, Samsung Evo 850 HD

Future arcade build (have most parts already) 4 player arcade with 2 aimtrack guns, 2 spinners, force feedback racing wheel and blissbox adapter with original controllers for the following systems: NES,SNES,Genesis(3 and 6 button controllers), N64, Dreamcast, Wii/WiiU, Xbox one. Might add PS2 controllers but I always hated those.
Sahadd Prawser
Final Boss
Final Boss

Bonus Coins : 240
Hi Scores : 11

Back to top Go down

Re: How to make life a lot easier if you have a non standard drive setup (something not on the install/update menu)

Post by James M on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 am

Amen brother. I like getting ripped trying to help people like i'm getting paid for it. I think I've used my drive twice in the last month. I've been on the forums 3x a week helping people though. Obviously I'd rather be playing my games than helping others use theirs; but very willing to help. But, when you start complaining or arguing because you don't like an answer... then maybe we set up a PAID SUPPORT model instead for people that insist on their own custom help instead of reading the forums and updates.

It's great to hear that you have both sides of your brain, the left side and the right side, just like normal people.
But I see the problem is that there is nothing right in your left brain and there is nothing left in your right side.

James M
Final Boss
Final Boss

Bonus Coins : 916
Hi Scores : 7

https://jdm001.wixsite.com/jimmerscripts

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: How to make life a lot easier if you have a non standard drive setup (something not on the install/update menu)

Post by Sahadd Prawser on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:55 am

I understand your frustration I really do, when I bought the drive i didn't get it working for half a year due to some control issues and not knowing how to overcome them. I kept at it and eventually figured it out.

There is one point you need to be clear on that I can tell you are not:

When any of us buy the drive that is all we are paying for, the drive in its current state. When you CHOOSE to update you do so at your own risk. That is why they are free updates and there is no additional support that any of us are entitled to beyond that. Chris helps new drive purchasers to make sure they get their initial setup up and running as that can be a daunting task. None of us that have been around for a while are entitled to any further "free" support. Chris just hates asking for more money but the reality is there is absolutely no capacity left to fully support 500 users on an ongoing basis.

The updates, the forums, the facebook posts those are all free because they are done on a completely voluntary basis. The role Chris plays in the drive is he is the guy that actually develops it and puts it all together. His personal goal (what truly drives him) is to have a drive that is 100% complete and automated. We aren't there yet and he needs to spend his time working towards that goal, which is why you see so many posts regarding improvements and media.

I want to be clear with everyone on my personal advice (and I recognize you need to keep at it to get your drive working Jay Jay and that you are not there yet). If your drive basically works on the areas you value (the systems you like playing) then I DO NOT RECOMMEND RUNNING UPDATES UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY NEED THEM TO FIX IMPORTANT ISSUES. These are effectively Alpha release updates with testing done by Chris and sometimes a little bit by us but they are not the same as an update that has been beta tested for months.

We are doing our best here to voluntarily help and I want to thank the other people on the forums that are posting and adding value to help solve problems when they can (around 10-15 more people other than admins). The fact remains that we are a very small group of people and we aren't employees of a company that can spend our work days solving drive issues. I just finally got my PSU reinstalled and rewired (it failed on my main computer) so at least now I can get back to testing issues people are bringing up and trying to resolve them as my time permits.

Once the servers are back online we will make sure we get over whatever update issue it is you are having Jay Jay and then you should have a usable drive for the kids again. Once we get there please don't update unless you need something badly.

RIG: Stormtrooper Stryker, Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, Skylake i5 6600k OC to 4.7ghz w/ Noctua D14 fan, R9 290x GPU, 16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws V, 1000w PSU, Samsung Evo 850 HD

Future arcade build (have most parts already) 4 player arcade with 2 aimtrack guns, 2 spinners, force feedback racing wheel and blissbox adapter with original controllers for the following systems: NES,SNES,Genesis(3 and 6 button controllers), N64, Dreamcast, Wii/WiiU, Xbox one. Might add PS2 controllers but I always hated those.
Sahadd Prawser
Final Boss
Final Boss

Bonus Coins : 240
Hi Scores : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by James M on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Jay Jay, we are never going back to the old process... sorry, but people who NEVER even bought the drive from Chris were reselling our drive and then THEIR CUSTOMERS (who never paid Chris a cent) were using his bandwidth.

To tell us we shouldn’t charge for support or updates when you bought a drive more than two years ago and have never paid anything since is insulting. You don’t HAVE to pay it, but, don’t say it’s a right either.

There are over 500 users now... how are we supposed to be EXPECTED or DEMANDED to fix everyone’s drive when they decided to have a custom setup. I don’t have a working drive; I haven’t updated in months... literally 2-3 months while Chris and I rewrote the process.

In order to help custom setups we have to figure out the error, see how the custom setup differs from everyone else, figure out what is breaking, then write a custom process to fix it. This is all for free and in our spare time.... and then another person with a custom setup comes along.

Next, to dangle “I got five more drives I can sell if you just help me” carrot is just a crappy move dude. You’re taunting Chris in that if you get custom help there will magically be five more sold... don’t do that. The dude bends over backwards for everyone and you’re going to play that card.

Msg me on Facebook (James M) and I’ll try to help; but, how much have you done so far? Did you download the new update files that Chris posted in all caps on Facebook and run that setup? Servers are up now, now is time to fix. If you aren’t willing to try to troubleshoot your own custom setup, I recommend getting one working update and never doing it again... that way the kids aren’t left without 100k games to play because another 100 games got new media.

Edit: Missed you tonight but probably didn’t see this yet. Msg me on FB and we will set a time and get you up and running. I promise!

Sent from Topic'it App

It's great to hear that you have both sides of your brain, the left side and the right side, just like normal people.
But I see the problem is that there is nothing right in your left brain and there is nothing left in your right side.

James M
Final Boss
Final Boss

Bonus Coins : 916
Hi Scores : 7

https://jdm001.wixsite.com/jimmerscripts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum