Hyper Arcade Systems
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feedback on 2TB initial install process, and a couple of questions

2 posters

Go down

Feedback on 2TB initial install process, and a couple of questions Empty Feedback on 2TB initial install process, and a couple of questions

Post by 2skoops Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Last week I ordered a 2TB cloud sync drive. After a few days I received the confirmation email and instructions, and I recently finished getting it all set up. I just wanted to give my experience with the process and some issues I ran into, in case it helps users or can be fixed by the team later. Apologies for the wall of text!

Initial download and unzipping:
The download went smoothly and speeds were good. While unzipping the files I received numerous dialogs stating that there were file conflicts and asking me to overwrite. The reason is that in the zip files there are sometimes files that have the same name but different capitalizations. For example, "MAME\genre.xml" and "MAME\Genre.xml", or "Sony Playstation\Monsterseed (USA).rar" and "Sony Playstation\MonsterSeed (USA).rar". Sometimes these files were identical copies, while sometimes they were actually different. In those case I just selected the larger of the two. After 10+ dialogs it was taking forever to get things unzipped, so I just clicked "Yes To All" and let it do its thing. This was probably the right decision since the initial Update Sync fixed the places where I chose the wrong file. It would be helpful if a script was run on the contents of these .7z files to detect and remove these duplicates so that others don't run into this issue.

I also hadn't added an exception for the drive yet in my WIndows Defender real-time scan, and it ended up quarantining 1 file (The King of Fighters Wing.exe in MUGEN). After adding the exception I re-extracted that file and everything was good.

Initial Setup & Installation:
The first step in the setup folder was a shortcut called "1. Right Click Run AS ADMIN - Install Setup.exe - Shortcut". The purpose of this is to help you remap your hard drive letter, but the shortcut points to an exe in "D:\_ Video Lessons and Tutorials\". So if you don't already have your drive set to D:, you will get a file not found error trying to launch the shortcut. Fortunately, it's not very hard to change your hard drive letter manually, or just navigate to the exe that the shortcut was trying to point you to.
(Note: after eventually getting the update finished below, this shortcut is no longer there and instead is just a text file called "Please read, what your responsible for.txt". This would have been helpful to have updated in the initial download, since that all happens before the first update)

With the installation, everything went smoothly for the most part. While installing "UE3Redist" it got hung up for a while trying to install the VS 2010 Redistributables. It kept popping up a dialog saying "Waiting for a prerequisite install to complete... Retry / Cancel". After a few retries, I just cancelled this. I assume it's because I already had VS 2010 Redistributables installed.
Only other thing worth mentioning is that 7-zip installation asks you to restart, which I said No to.

Initial Update:
Here is when things started to become difficult. The update file in the "_2. Syncovery Update Folder" from the initial download did not work correctly. It accepted the password from the FB group and successfully detected the 2TB drive, before stating that it needed to download an INI file. After less than a minute, I would receive the following message:
"The SyncoveryFile Download had an error. Please re-run this process and if it happens again you may need to manually put the INI file in the Syncovery Directory."
Re-running the process would always result in the same. The message didn't have instructions fo rht emanual copy of where to get the INI file, or where the Syncovery Directory was to copy it to. I searched my computer and found "Syncovery.ini" in "D:\Arcade\System roms\2TB Syncovery Profile\", but I couldn't find any directory for Syncovery on my system. I tried copying the INI file into the "_2. Syncovery Update Folder", but that didn't work.

Checking the forums, I tried following the instructions here:
https://hyperarcades.forumotion.com/t332-update-process-new-process-and-fixes

The first section was titled "If you had troubles with the new process so far", so I downloaded the .7z file there and followed the instructions. Still the same issue.

The second section was titled "If you have not tried to update (or downloaded new update process) since October 2017". This didn't seem like it should apply, since I was starting from the FTP download in March 2018, six months later. I would have assumed that what I downloaded already has the new update process on it. Regardless, I downloaded the .7z and ran the "GetNewUpdateProcessTool.exe" and corresponding custom Syncovery update. This showed a lot of required changes (8739 files, 723MB) and was a very slow download speed (only 0.04 MB/s), so it took a few hours to complete. After the sync finished, I pressed OK and got an error message:
"Error: Failed attempt to launch program or document: Action: <D:\_ Video Lessons and Tutorials\MiscInstallFiles\Setup exes\1.-Syncovery-Update-Installer.exe> Params: <>
Line # ---> 037: Run, "D:\_ Video Lessons and Tutorials\MiscInstallFiles\Setup exes\1.-Syncovery-Update-Installer.exe"
The current thread will exit."

OK... So I went the the directory linked in the error and saw there were two versions of that .exe in there (one starting with "1.-" and one starting with "1. "). The error mentioned the one that started with "1.-" so I tried running that one and....SUCCESS!! I was able to finally run the sync and update my drive! This sync was a lot faster than the NewUpdateProcess sync.

Initial Impressions and questions
Overall it seems like a great setup so far. Eventually I'm putting it a full-sized arcade cabinet with original CRT, CRT_Emudriver for 240p output and J-Pac for controls and video. For now thought, I'm just testing it with a 360 controller. I've run into a few small issues here and there, but nothing major so far. I did have a couple of questions though:

1. In the default wheels I only see a few collections (mostly arcade-related, Metal Slug, Mortal Kombat, etc..), but I don't see any of the console ones (Mario, Sonic, Zelda, etc..). Am I supposed to just add these myself to the main menu .xml file? Or is there some utility or tool that I'm missing for that? Same question for other wheels like console hacks.

2. On the HyperArcadeSystems website I also see a bunch of misc items listed, like XBMC/Kodi, Netflix, Plex, HyperXMLSpin etc.., but I don't see those either. I do see magazines, Arcade Music Challenge, and Nox on the main wheel, but Not won't even start (it shows an initial dialog but stops at 99%). Where are the other Miscellaneous items? I was especially looking forward to Plex, which Chris demoed in one of the videos.

Now that things are all set up, I'm excited to explore more. Thanks!
2skoops
2skoops

Bonus Coins : 7
Hi Scores : 0

Back to top Go down

Feedback on 2TB initial install process, and a couple of questions Empty Re: Feedback on 2TB initial install process, and a couple of questions

Post by James M Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:00 am

Thank you for the great feedback, he appears Chris needs to do some gardening and some of those files with duplicate names since it’s wasting bandwidth too. On the update process, I’m not sure what happened there but your feedback is very good. I’ll get that fixed up. Finally, it appears your main menu. XML is missing some entries. The 2 TB doesn’t have all that extra stuff on it, but it should have a collection wheels. Although, the collection wheels use a lot of game systems that you don’t have like the PS2 stuff, so that might be by design for the 2 TB drive

Sent from Topic'it App
James M
James M
Final Boss
Final Boss

Bonus Coins : 1503
Hi Scores : 37

https://jdm001.wixsite.com/jimmerscripts

Back to top Go down

Feedback on 2TB initial install process, and a couple of questions Empty Re: Feedback on 2TB initial install process, and a couple of questions

Post by 2skoops Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks for the response James.
My guess regarding the update process is that the 2TB initial download was never updated with the necessary files for the new update process. Other parts of it seemed out of date as well (ex. the shortcut to remap the drive letter which didn't work, but disappeared after the first update). I'm not sure if it's just the 2TB version that is out of date, or if all of the initial cloud downloads are like that (maybe if I eventually update to 8TB I'll find out).

I understand the issue that some collections might have missing games in them, since the 2TB is limited in systems. So you might be right that this is by design. I can always manually add the collections to the main menu wheel and comment-out any games that can't be located as necessary. So no big deal.

Regarding my question #2 above, I did try adding in Plex back to the main menu wheel, and it seemed to work as expected. Nox Player still won't launch for me, and I see a bunch of posts online about the 99% issue and your machine's virtualization settings. I tried a couple things that didn't work, but didn't focus on it too much, since I will eventually be using the drive on a different PC that might not have this issue.

Thanks again
2skoops
2skoops

Bonus Coins : 7
Hi Scores : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by James M Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:24 am

Oh he pulled plex because it's hosted by another user and he'll be pulling it offline soon. That's why he switched over to nox. I couldn't get nox to work either; but, it's in process. Plex might work fine for next week or so; but it'll be going off.
James M
James M
Final Boss
Final Boss

Bonus Coins : 1503
Hi Scores : 37

https://jdm001.wixsite.com/jimmerscripts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down