Hyper Arcade Systems
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[SOLVED!] Spinner working in Tron, not Tempest (How to edit spinner in mame part 2)

5 posters

Go down

[SOLVED!] Spinner working in Tron, not Tempest (How to edit spinner in mame part 2) Empty [SOLVED!] Spinner working in Tron, not Tempest (How to edit spinner in mame part 2)

Post by jumpster Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:34 am

First - thanks for all your help on other issues.  I am still having spinner issues.  I have tried every step of every thing I can think of, but I still cannot get the TAB menu of MAME to recognize my spinner.

I know it works as it moves the cursor, and it works by default for some reason in Tron, but I simply can't get anything to happen in games where it isn't working by default.

When I go into the TAB configuration in MAME and select the dial control, it simply doesn't register when I move the dial, even though the cursor is moving.   It doesn't register if I move the mouse or the trackball either, if that provides any hints to what is happening.

Thanks
-Jamie

jumpster

Bonus Coins : 43
Hi Scores : 0

Back to top Go down

[SOLVED!] Spinner working in Tron, not Tempest (How to edit spinner in mame part 2) Empty Re: [SOLVED!] Spinner working in Tron, not Tempest (How to edit spinner in mame part 2)

Post by Control4reak Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:58 pm

I have the same issue. I’m using IPAC controls with a spinner directly connected to the IPAC board

Control4reak

Bonus Coins : 70

Back to top Go down

[SOLVED!] Spinner working in Tron, not Tempest (How to edit spinner in mame part 2) Empty Re: [SOLVED!] Spinner working in Tron, not Tempest (How to edit spinner in mame part 2)

Post by James M Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:31 am

You don't select dial control...

You goto left and right, the keys you are replacing, and then move the (dial) spinner.

So, MAME tab menu might look like this:

Action______Keypress
Up_________Up, W
Down_______Down, S
Left_________Left, A
Right________Right, D

Those are just examples, I don't have exact in front of me.  What you want to do is change left and right or up and down to spinner presses.  You goto one of them like "Left" and hit the x button to highlight it; it'll say "press a key" or something like that.  Rotate your dial left.

When you do this, it should show a control for your dial.   But, then, without hitting any other keys, hit X again and press Left; now it'll say something like "Dial Left, Left Arrow key" etc.  and if there was another key like A, hit x a third time and then A.  

If you do not move the focus off that key; you can keep setting that key to multiple inputs.  

So, as long as you add back in whatever was already in there; it'll prevent those keys from breaking any controls, but will ADD your spinner to the mix.   You can do this globally so that all games can also use your spinner in mame.

Moderator wrote:
FYI Marking this post solved, this doesn't mean that we will not continue to help with this issue.  Moving this because the above will solve this issue 99% of the time and help other users; so we want to get it to the SOLVED section.  

We are putting this in the SOLVED but unsorted thread.  It is unlocked and you can still reply.  If you are still personally having the same issue, please continue to post in this thread and we will continue to assist if we can

When your issue is solved; or, if we don't hear back for 2 weeks; we will finalize this thread by moving it to the right category in the solved issues.  The moving of the post is to help others, it doesn't mean we are ending viewing this thread.
James M
James M
Final Boss
Final Boss

Bonus Coins : 1503
Hi Scores : 37

https://jdm001.wixsite.com/jimmerscripts

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpster Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:09 am

OK here's what I do.  

I start Tempest
Hit TAB
Go to Setting for this game
I get this screen
[SOLVED!] Spinner working in Tron, not Tempest (How to edit spinner in mame part 2) FuhhhJe

I move to "Dial Analog Desc"
Press Enter - app moves into "capture" mode
Move the dial - the mouse cursor moves, but no entry appears
Press Left Arrow - "Kbd Left" appears and app leaves capture mode
Press Enter - app moves into "capture" mode
Move the dial - the mouse cursor moves, but no entry appears

later, rinse, repeat...

(same happens if I try for all controls)

jumpster

Back to top Go down

Post by James M Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:20 pm

That's the problem, you're changing dial, which is good for games that register as a spinner game.

That version of that game works with controller but doesn't recognize spinner; so, even if you change dial to your spinner, it still won't work.

Reread what i posted above, you're not changing DIAL, you're *adding* it to you LEFT and RIGHT or UP and DOWN settings depending on the game. Double check my post above and do same steps but to LEFT and RIGHT in tron, not DIAL but just plain LEFT and RIGHT.
James M
James M
Final Boss
Final Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpster Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 pm

It works in Tron - so tron's not an issue (and Tron uses the joystick for left and right anyway - the dial is for aiming only).

For Tempest, there isn't any "left" or "right" at all - the "DIAL ANALOG DEC" and "DIAL ANALOG INC" settings are for using the joystick to "DEC"rement and "INC"rement the dial respectively - i.e. move left or right. In the picture above, I set "DIAL ANALOG DEC" to "Kbd Left" (which is how my ipac joystick is set, and I can't set it to any dial. There are no settings where I can turn the dial and have the dial recognized by MAME.

It seems TRON works because the default setting for the dial is MOUSE1 OR MOUSE2 OR MOUSE3 OR MOUSE4, but I can't change those either. Since those are the default settings, they don't show up in the tron.cfg file for me to copy/paste the settings. Sad

jumpster

Back to top Go down

Post by James M Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 am

Oh that's two different things... You said it wasn't recognizing some games as spinner games, so my post showed how to set that.

If it has a control section for dial, then just set it globally for dual.

Here's a quick video showing how to:
https://youtu.be/bXci_LqFmGM

Sent from Topic'it App
James M
James M
Final Boss
Final Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Control4reak Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Still couldnt get it to work as described above. I am having the same issue as OP, where the spinner isn't being picked up when I try and set it as control.

Control4reak

Bonus Coins : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpster Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks - this is exactly the part that isn't working. If I go to the configuration panel, just like at the 1 minute mark in the video, and I move the trackball or spinner or mouse, nothing happens - that is, the mouse moves, but the configuration doesn't get entered into the configuration dialog. It stays blank.

The part that is frustrating is that the spinner works in Tron by default without me having to do anything - I don't know why it works, it just does based on the defaults. If I go into configuration for TRON and try to set the spinner, I get the same behavior - i.e. it doesn't pick up any analog motion in the config panel.

jumpster

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpster Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 pm

OK - I'm still trying to work this out and still can't get the spinner or mouse to be recognized in any games where it's not working by default.

Again, what happens is when I go into the control configuration and move the mouse/spinner/trackball, nothing happens. It simply doesn't register.

At this point I went through and found (I think) every possible mame.ini file on the system and made sure that the mouse was enabled and that dial/trackball/mouse/etc were all set to "mouse". These were under

d:\Arcade\Emulators\MAME\Mame185\ini
d:\Arcade\Emulators\MAME\Mame64\ini\presets
d:\Arcade\Emulators\MAME\Mame vertical\ini
d:\Arcade\Emulators\MAME\Arcade64\ini
d:\Arcade\Emulators\MAME\Arcade64\presets\ini
d:\Arcade\Emulators\HBMAME\ini\presets\ini

I also tried directly running
d:\Arcade\Emulators\MAME\Mame185\mame64.exe

In the control setup in the mame64.exe UI, I was able to set the "dial" control to my spinner. However, I was unable to run tempest from that UI, and after I made that setting, I was still unable to use or set the dial from the control interface in the MAME instance launched by Hyperspin.

Please let me know if any of this additional information helps diagnose the issue.

Thanks

jumpster

Back to top Go down

Post by James M Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:12 am

Try this for grins, go into databases and settings and then in mame look for those two games for the individual control files, it might also be in the mame folder on the mame 185 under emulators/mean. See if there’s a different setting for the dial for the one that’s working and copy that over to the other one, save a back up first. See if that gets everything up and running.

Sent from Topic'it App
James M
James M
Final Boss
Final Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpster Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:38 am

Tried that - since they are both set as all defaults, there's no information in those files. The files only save customizations Sad

jumpster

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty Fenwick Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Kinda went through this thread sorta.....

Hi, Jumpster, This really shouldn't be that hard. At the moment I am not near the arcade but can give you some things to try. The very first thing should be to verify your spinner works in Windows (Devices and Printers). Next I am using the TT2 spinner from Groovy Game Gear and will assume you have a reasonably decent spinner. It seems you have already gone into your Mame.ini file - just make sure you've set "multimouse" to "1". This is necessary unless you're spinner is the only mouse device you use (This is normally not the case). Ok, Next lets try to set your spinner with Tempest. Open the game, press tab, go to input this game, go to Dial Analog (as shown above), press enter then twist your spinner. You should now see "mouse X" if this is the only mouse device you use (or more likely "mouse 1", 2 depending on how many mice you use). Do not use the Dial Analog - "dec" or "inc" to set the spinner. Then, go to return to game. Does your spinner now work in game? Hope I can help you - I love me some Tempest! Marty

Marty Fenwick

Bonus Coins : 71
Hi Scores : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Angeles Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:37 pm

I am having this exact problem (can configure the spinner in Tron, but not Tempest), and none of the solutions above (or in any of the other spinner problem threads) seem to work for me. Why is this problem marked as "SOLVED"???

Jumpster -- Did you ever solve the problem? The problem seems to exist in Tempest, but not in Tron -- Is it a glitch in MAME itself?

Also, 2 observations that might lead to a solution:

1) When I move the spinner in Tempest to try and configure "Dial Analog" a red pointer moves around the screen. This does not happen in Tron. I have never seen a mouse pointer like this in MAME (and I've been using MAME since the 90's!).

2) Tempest seems to have an unusual amount of HLSL (video monitor effects) compared to Tron. Could this be what's interfering?

Anyone have any ideas?
Tony Angeles
Tony Angeles

Bonus Coins : 13
Hi Scores : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Angeles Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:55 pm

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! All the advice given above is right, BUT it has to be done to vector.ini (in the ini folder) NOT mame. ini. In vector.ini, make sure it's "mouse 1" and "multimouse 1" (not 0).
Tony Angeles
Tony Angeles

Bonus Coins : 13
Hi Scores : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down